Here are some of the key features of the new MediaTek Dimensity 800U:
- It’s fabricated on a 7nm manufacturing process (TSMC’s 7nm FinFET).
- It has an octa-core CPU comprised of 2 ARM Cortex-A76 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.4GHz and 6 ARM Cortex-A55 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz.
- It features ARM’s Mali-G57 GPU, an independent AI processing unit (APU), supports LPDDR4X RAM (up to 2133MHz), and supports UFS 2.1-class storage.
- It supports displays at up to Full HD+ resolution and 120Hz refresh rates. MediaTek also says it supports HDR10+ video as well as MediaTek’s custom MiraVision PQ engine with additional HDR optimizations for videos.
- Its ISP supports up to 64MP image sensors as well as quad camera configurations.
- It has support for voice on wakeup (VoW), multiple trigger words and voice assistant services, and dual-mic noise reduction technology.
- Lastly, it has an integrated 5G modem with support for 5G+5G Dual Sim Dual Standby (DSDS), sub-6GHz 5G on SA and NSA networks, dual Voice over New Radio (VoNR), 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC 5G-CA), and MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave technology.
The Dimensity 800 has 4 ARM Cortex-A76 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz and 4 ARM Cortex-A55 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz, while the Dimensity 820 has 4 ARM Cortex-A76 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.6GHz and 4 ARM Cortex-A55 CPU cores clocked at up to 2.0GHz. Therefore, the new Dimensity 800U will likely have better single-core performance than the Dimensity 800 but not the Dimensity 820, but it will have worse multi-core performance than both the Dimensity 800 and the Dimensity 820. The Dimensity 800 and Dimensity 820 also have an ARM Mali-G57 GPU like the new 800U, with the 800’s Mali-G57 GPU having 4 cores and the 820’s Mali-G57 GPU having 5 cores. According to MediaTek, the Dimensity 800U features up to 11% faster CPU performance and 28% faster GPU performance compared to the Dimensity 720, which itself has an ARM Mali-G57MC3.
Outside of China, there hasn’t been a single smartphone to launch with a MediaTek Dimensity chipset, although the company recently confirmed that devices with the chipsets will launch outside of China in Q3 2020.